Thursday, June 18, 2015

Trip 2 - Day 2: Gotcha Day

1:30am - awake
2:00am - awake
2:30am - awake...

So it went last night for Ron, Reese and me.  By 4:30am, we couldn't take it any longer, so we just got up.

We had a great morning together before going to pick up Hyun at 10am.  We had several breakfasts :), including one at Dunkin Donuts.

When we arrived at Easter Social Welfare Services, we filled out some paperwork prior to Hyun arriving with his foster mom "omma" and her adult son.  I was so happy that he came with her because I didn't want her to be alone.  Hyun's omma is a widow, and Hyun is her first foster child.  She was so kind to bring many foods for Hyun - kimchi, jam, his favorite bread and a few others.  We also received his hanbock from his 1st year and a molding of his feet from the agency.  They also put many pictures together for us in which we haven't had a chance to meander through yet.



I thought we may also receive some items that comfort him such as his favorite toys, blanket or even some of his clothes, but we received a few clothing items and no toys.  Please do not take this as a complaint; it's just an observation.  Even though we didn't get any "stuff" for him, I am SO incredibly thankful for the food.  And it is official - the boy is still in diapers (something we were unsure about). :). I was almost giddy to change his diaper today - because I'm his mom, I should be changing his diaper!!!

Not sure I can adequately share in words regarding the transfer of custody - it's almost as if it seems unfair to tell everyone because it still seems to be a secret to him.  He didn't want omma to leave when she did, but they put us in a van and whisked us away.  He has been busy playing all day, and has several times said to me "go to omma" (by the way, I can't tell you how grateful I am that I learned some Hangul).  When I tell him no and that I'm sorry, he gives me a blank stare like he's going to cry but doesn't.

We came home for a few hours prior to traveling to the US Embassy (which is where we go to get his visa).  Many of you may know that the US government is having terrible issues with the visa processing system right now.  Everything is incredibly backed up, and we were told that the Embassy would be shutting down for 3 days while we are here... and we can't leave without the visa.  We were the only family there today doing adoption visa interviews, and the man who conducted our interview has also adopted 2 times.  He was so kind, and he said "Let me see what I can do about getting you the visa today."  So, are you ready for this amazing answer to prayer?  He handed us our visa within a few hours!!!  We already got the visa!!  I can't believe it.  That is what I call "God-sized!".

He is taking a nap right now, along with everyone else in my family.  We are wiped out. 




 

 
I really don't have many pictures today just because we've been so incredibly busy and because the US Embassy does not allow electronics in the building - and that is where we spent the majority of our day.  Things couldn't be going any better - though I assume that as nightfall comes, the reality of Hyun's new life will set in even deeper for him.  He will grieve.  We will grieve with him all while rejoicing over all that we know God has done, is doing and will continue to do.

Can't thank you all enough for the prayers and support.  It's an amazing journey we are on!


ps.  We bought real water today.  The vodka got dumped out :).

2 comments:

  1. Oh how exciting and always amazed how God takes care!! Praying for a smooth transition for all of you !! Love you guys!! Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited and happy for all of you! Amazed at how God takes care! Praying for a smooth transition for all of you! Lots of love

    ReplyDelete